September 26, 2011

Trip 5: Oktoberfest

Trip date: September 23-25, 2011

Oktoberfest is the world's largest annual fair and happens in Munich, Germany. The Calgary Stampede is like the in-bred and retarded cousin to this event. Oktoberfest openly celebrates drinking and by consequence, openly celebrates being belligerent all day in the streets. There are dirndls, lederhosens and 1L beer glasses as far as the eye can see.

Oktoberfest celebrates it 178th birthday this year.


I know, you're saying, "But Kristen, don't you have a gluten intolerance? What are you doing at Oktoberfest?". If there's any place to disregard and re-evaluate your allergy to hops, it's in Munich during these 16-18 days.

Almost every Calgary intern, save two, came with us on this trip. We managed to pick up and Aussie somewhere in the mix as well. We took the train after work on Friday and reached Munich (aka Müchen) on Friday night. We stayed at The Tent campground and it is honestly my favorite accommodations yet. It worked out to 10 euros a night (booked way way way in advanced) and worth every bit thrice over. The camping/festival atmosphere really brings me back to Shambhala and for this reason alone, I fell in love with the place.

We woke up at the crack of dawn and left the campsite by 6 in the morning. I can't remember the last time (if there has ever been a time) I woke up at 5:30 so I could go drinking but there is no larger motivator than a full day of party. The tents don't open until 9 but it's a first-come-first-serve push and the lines were already formed once we arrived there and people in full Bavarian gear were already pre-gaming. We lined up for the Hacker-Festzelt tent.

Mike, Jason and I didn't get into the tent but we did get a table outside. We sat with 4 Germans who gave us the ins and outs of the festival. I also discovered that Oktoberfest beers are brewed sans whatever it is I'm usually allergic to in beer (so, obviously it's not hops I'm allergic to) and I could drink it to my heart's tolerance's content. 1L beer glasses (or Maß) of beer will set you back 10 euros with tip.


Song singing and stomping around the festival brings about a Stampede flashback. People pass out and game-over in all sorts of places at all hours of the day. But unlike Stampede, this doesn't lead to a ticket for public intoxication or a free night in the drunk-tank. Instead (and more rightly so, in my opinion) it leaves you vulnerable to other Oktoberfest goers like how the first person to pass out in a party is vulnerable to everyone with a sharpie. A stomach full of Oktoberfest beer (and beer in general) sways you to spend a lot of money on unhealthy and over priced fair food but once again, living in Switzerland has destroyed my ability to interpret when things are expensive. This impairment is also magnified at Oktoberfest for obvious reasons. So I indulged in all the starchy delights I could get my clumsy fingers on.


Zigzagging through the streets all day sure takes a lot out of you. So I felt a bit torn when I headed back to the hostel at 9pm. On one hand, I wanted to keep staying out and enjoying the festival, perhaps even go to a club and on the other hand I was so over the crowds, snail-paced shuffling and fatigue had set in a bit. Here is where my hostel addressed all my needs in the form of 2.50 euro half liters beers and a campfire circle.

Sharing a campfire with just about anybody is right up there in the best past-time activity that people can do together. I chatted with a lot of Aussies and Germans. I took guitar lessons and learned Knocking on Heaven's door from an Israeli. I exchanged the 3 Spanish words I knew and lots of hand gestures to an Spaniard. I met guy from Bristol who was just about the nicest guy there. All in all, I had a fantastic night and it was a perfect end to a day of doing nothing but stumbling and being noisy. My only regret is that I only stayed the weekend because it's awful to say goodbye to people you just met.



Don't worry, I actually saw a bit of Munich as well. On Sunday we wandered around Munich and saw the sites and I (of course) took many touristy photos. We saw the new town hall building which was insanely beautiful and adorned with so much detail. We watched and listened to the Rathaus-Glockenspiel which is like a very slow paced-large scale cuckoo-clock show. Don't worry if you miss the show and only see the building if you go to Munich, the show registered at a 2/10 on the exhilaration scale.



We also walked through a bunch of parks, including a one where being nude was encouraged. Walking through a field of naked and half naked sunbathers while fully clothed really makes you feel like a pervert.

All in all, I'm really glad I didn't get to do everything I wanted to at Oktoberfest because it leaves room and motivation to go back one day soon. I had a fantastic time!

Things I learn:
  • A radler is half beer, half lemon soda pop and it is very enjoyable
  • A friend that I made told me that radlers are made so children can drink (oh well)
  • The only German you need to know during Oktoberfest is "ein maß bier, bitte" and "PROST"
  • Efficient and easy-to use transit has impressed me once again. Shape up, Calgary!
Thing to do when I come back:
  • Attend on a weekday, perhaps a Thursday to Saturday trip to avoid the high crowd congestion.
  • Stay at a campground again
  • Get into a tent
  • Learn the words to the songs (though banging on tables, clapping hands and shouting random sounds seems pretty passable)