March 27, 2012

different species of keyboards


QWERTY Keyboard - Canada (and elsewhere)

I wasn't completely oblivious to keyboards being different in different countries. I knew that a country that didn't use a Latin alphabet must have a completely different keyboard layout. However, I was really (maybe ignorantly?) surprised to see how keyboards change within countries that use the same letters as us in North America.

I guess I just assumed that European typist were just super speedy with their alt codes.

The Swiss keyboard is much the same as to what I'm use to. Aside from symbols, the only letters that are in different places are the "Z" and the "Y". The French keyboard is like our keyboard after it goes through a blender and the first time you use it, it will likely take you 10 minutes to sign onto your facebook.

Swiss:


German:


French: