March 09, 2012

Canadian derpderp


Here are some daily examples of how I know I am identified as a non-European/non-Swiss by other people (Besides the obvious fact that I am Asian) :
  1. The way men look at me when I hold the door open for them.
    (Which is: uncomfortable and confused)
    Here, "ladies first" is in full practice

  2. I don't have a stockpile of red and white wines at home (only Jack Daniel's Winter Jack, sorry). This lack is apparent as soon as any non-Canadian comes over for dinner.

  3. "Wow! You use REAL cheese on your McDonalds burger!"
    "What do you mean? What do you have in Canada?"
    "...."


  4. The number of times people have to tell me
    "Kristen, you don't need to leave a tip"
    "Kristen, don't tip"
    "Kristen, 3% tip is enough"


  5. How often people point out my "hey" (aka, "eh" 's) like it's a birth defect
    "Hey/Eh, do you want to go over there"
    "This is really good, hey/eh?"
  6. How I am fascinated by kebabs since we don't have them on every street corner like they do on this entire continent.

  7. Having to explain Halloween but ask about Epiphany

  8. How messy I keep my room and how little time I spend on grooming.

  9. I haven't seen Eurotrip 10 times

  10. "What do you mean you can only drive an automatic?"