November 08, 2011

Europe's Days Off

The "live to work" concept is definitely a North American invented burden (maybe the Japanese' as well). In Europe, there are no shortage of reasons why you can take a paid day off work. I know I think too many of these reasons are "too good to be true" or way to ideal but I guess one thing I learned over here is that wanting a life outside of work while doing well at your job can be a standard - not a dream.

Wonderfully ludicrous reason why you get a paid day off in a European job:
  1. 25 paid vacation days
    (minimum of 20 in the EU but 25 at my job)
  2. Unlimited sick days
  3. Moving or rennovating? Take 2 days off to do it.
  4. Need to stay home with a sick kid? No problem!
  5. Maternity leave? Just take 3 years! You know what? You can even take 4.