July 19, 2012

ilu sbb

You don't have to live in Switzerland to share in the joy of not needing a car and taking public transit. In fact, you probably experience this in Vancouver.

Calgary transit is so terrible. This is a fact known by all Calgarians and denied by all ignorant Calgarians that drive. Having taken it for most of my life all over Calgary, I am relishing in the efficiency of Switzerland's transit system. Here are some things that I just can't get enough of.
  1. The bus always arrives. If it's more than 5 minutes late, you're probably not in Switzerland.

  2. The bus is never "too full" for you to get on.
    It will also certainly never drive past you in -30°C weather for this reason either.

  3. Popular connections with trains or main destinations are actually lined up with urban bus lines.

  4. It is easier for me to cross the entire country of Switzerland than for me to cross the entire city of Calgary using public transportation.

  5. You can find route maps at bus stops

  6. Screens at bus stations and train stations tell me when the next bus/train is. It will also tell me when it's late.

  7. Schedules at bus stops let me know bus times for the whole week.

  8. Finding a garbage can on the train or bus is no issue.

  9. You can drink on public transportation - well technically you can drink anywhere. No cop is going to pour your alcohol onto the ground because drinking in public here is legal.

  10. If it's a 20 minute drive away - it'll never be a 2 hour transit ride away

  11. Skiing? Hiking? Sledding? Don't fuss around with the car, just take the train directly there.

I suppose if you are from Europe, Japan or somewhere like New York (or even Montreal) you probably think I just listed the basic services expected of all public transportation systems but I assure you - you don't know how lucky you are.