February 16, 2012

Swiss Cheeses


Okay okay okay, how could someone possibly live a whole year in Switzerland without getting cheese obsessed? Particularly if that person hails from a country where "Jalapeno Jack Cheddar" is the height of cheese sophistication?

It's not only Swiss cheeses; it's all types of European cheeses too. The fact that I can buy real mozzarella (in a ball, not shredded and processed in a resealable bag) is certainly something to get excited about. Discount Brie cheese? Don't mind if I do.

I've decided to embark on a goal of buying a new Swiss cheese from the grocery store every time I run out of it in addition to my budget brand and multipurpose Gouda. However, this endeavor might be halted by the discovery that I made 2 cheeses into this commitment.

Maxx 365, is a hard and strong cheese. Slightly nutty and in every way delicious. Declaring my relationship with this cheese as a "love affair" or a "lactose-intolerance case of star crossed lovers" is very appropriate.

I wish "cheese culture" in Canada was a real thing.