August 17, 2011

Hello World


I've moved to Baden, Switzerland and I've expanded my world from western Canada to the entire continent of Europe!

Highlights thus far have included
- Seeing Netsky in Zurich
- Zurich Street Parade
- So many bottles of 2 euro wine
- Being a deranged picture-taking tourist-
- Huge German learning initiative
- Living in a city with good transit
- Learning that being Canadian is the ultimate pick up line




    Ignorant North-American herpderps on my behalf include
    • Commenting on the high price of Jack Daniel's and then quickly being told "Of course, it's imported"
    • Learning everyone knows you're not European when you start chasing liquor
    • Throwing in French words to complete my broken German sentences
    • Learning that in Europe, the definition of a 'joint' and a 'spliff' are the opposite to their definitions in Canada
    • Thinking that using the 24 hour clock was a quaint custom
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Use_by_country
      Turns out that Canada is just once again behind the times.
    • Learning to not use the term 'mickey' because it sounds ridiculous when you have to explain what that is.
    "Well what do you call it?"
    "We call it a 'small bottle'."

    I assume a 'Texas mickey' would be similarly received.
    I've met a friend who speaks beautiful UK English. It has made me realized that we speak an unintelligible and less cute version of the language. Here are the fancy alternative words I've learned so far that you can integrate into your vocabulary:
    • Roommates are called flatmates
    • University Res is called "Halls"
      as in "I live in halls."
    • Dinner is called tea
      as in "What are you having for tea?"
    • Dessert is called pudding
      as in "I'm having cake for pudding."